Mold & Air Quality FAQ

What is mold?
Molds are fungi that occur naturally in the environment. There are thousands of different species of mold. They vary in color and form, neither of which determines their level of harmfulness. Molds are very good for our environment, but become a problem when they grow in homes and buildings.
Why does mold grow indoors?

Organic materials and moisture provide mold with the food it needs to grow. Your property is built from many of these materials that include: wood, sheet rock, drywall paper etc. and is an excellent source of nutrition for mold. Molds reproduce by making and releasing tiny airborne spores that drift through the air to find an ideal place to grow. When organic materials become wet and there is a lack of sufficient airflow in a building, it is possible for mold growth to develop. Aside from the potential health effects that can occur as a result of mold exposure, mold will compromise the structural integrity of your building. It will rot and deteriorate the building materials and can cause extensive property damage if it is not addressed properly.

What kinds of health effects are associated with mold exposure?

The most common symptoms associated with mold exposure are:


What are the least common and most drastic effects associated with mold exposure?


What levels of mold exposure are harmful

The Environmental Protection Agency has yet to issue guidelines addressing airborne mold contamination levels. This stands to be a difficult task as each individual has different tolerances.

Mold usually has the greatest affect on people whose immune systems are compromised such as individuals that are suffering from cancer, HIV, etc., the elderly, people with asthma and allergies, or people whose immune system is still developing like young children. However, if you are a property manager, builder, landlord, realtor or a homeowner, do you want to take the chance of not addressing the issue if it arises in your building?.